Thursday, October 8, 2009

Autumn decorations

We don't have much space for decorations, but lately I've been wanting be creative. A good side effect of feeling so much better...

I bought a few pumpkins from Hobby Lobby-
Dug out some alphabet stickers I've had for a couple years but never used-

Added some autumn leaves (the same ones I used to make my new background)-
The finished product. Yes, they're sitting on our dvds- the only flat space available. I thought it turned out pretty good, though later I might find some different letters and modpodge them on for next year.

Then I made a pine cone wreath like the one Vanessa made (we were in the same ward when our husbands were at language school, and she's super creative). Mine didn't turn out quite as well as hers did, but that's because of the pine cones I used. She used small ones that fit together really well. I used Ponderosa Pine pine cones which are bigger, prickly, and don't fit together very well. I think it turned out pretty good, though.

Next time I make a pine cone wreath, I won't be using Ponderosa Pine pine cones. My fingertips are sore from being poked multiple times, and I have scratches all over my arms. I also won't drop the wreath when I'm almost finished. I did that last night and the styrofoam wreath cracked right in half. I hot glued it back together (getting a second degree burn on my thumb in the process) and let it set overnight. This morning I checked it and it was dry and hard, so I finished it off and hung it up.

We went to Mr. M's parents' house to gather the pine cones, and I brought my camera along to take some pictures. LMS picked up this pine cone and said 'take a picture mommy!'.
The finished product hanging outside the front door. I used some muslin for the hanger and bow, but didn't hem it or anything- just cut it and tied it to the length I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment